Hillfarrance Photo Gallery
100 Years of Bellringing
THE VEN. ARCHDEACON AND MRS. CHARD AND BELLRINGERS,
HILLFARRANCE, FEBRUARY 1905.
H. LOMAN, D. CATTLE, Mrs CHARD, F. ALLERCOTT- Leader, E. LANGFORD,
H. LANGFORD, W. PRING, VEN.ARCHDEACON C.H. CHARD.
THE VEN. ARCHDEACON AND MRS. REED AND BELLRINGERS
HILLFARRANCE, FEBRUARY 2005
GEORGE COMER, DAVID RICHARDS, MISS JANE BEVERIDGE, MRS MARCIA MAUNDER,
MRS GILLIAN REED,REG COLEMAN (CAPTAIN), PHILIP ALLERCOTT, ALAN LEE
MRS MARGARET GILLARD VEN. ARCHDEACON JOHN P.C. REED.
Philip Allercott is not a ringer but was asked to appear on the photograph as he is a great nephew of Frank Allercott who appears on the original photo.
The above picture was taken from the top of the Church tower and shows Burgine on the lest and Palmers Cottage on the right the picture below was also taken from the tower around 1930. The left hand cottage in the row is Palmers Cottage before the other three properties were demolished.
Do you know anything about the Cording Family who lived at Mousehole Hillfarrance, this photo shows James and Ann (nee Russ) James was born in Bishop's Lydeard in 1827 and appears on the Hillfarrance census from 1851 to 1901. He worked as a farm laborourer at oake Green Farm.
This photo shows Catherine Lovel and her father walking into church, she married an American and a couple of days after this picture was taken emigrated to America
On the 5th September 2010 Wellington Silver Band played for a Songs of Praise service on the 'Green'.
Hillfarrance Cricket team was resurected after many years. On Thursday 12th August 2010 a match took place at Staplegrove Cricket Ground against the 'Set Square side' from Taunton. Put into bat Hillfarrance made a strong start with hearty knocks from Ben and Dan Adams, before consisten bowing slowed the score rate. It was left to an impressive anchor innings by Jack Holley to ensure the side went on to make a creditable 129. Following a quick turn-around, a strong fielding performance, most notably from James Messenger behind the stumps, was not entirely matched by the consistency of the bowing and the opposition made the required total in the 17th over as the light started to fade. Thanks to Adrian Dyke and Tom Holley for volunteering to umpire.
Friday 25th June '10 saw 68 people enjoying fish and chips on the Green.
The peococks were seen on the church roof on the 28th June.
Photos taken 6th Janaury 2010
John Essex fixing our new Notice Board
on the 24th September 2009
photographed in Hillfarrance
105 shoe boxes were filled for adults and children in Rumania these will go via the SWEEPS charity.
Easter 2009 Craft exhibition in the church
Lovelly weather as you can see.
Hillfarrance in the snow February 2009 and a fortnight later the snowdrops
Neil Hancock has been a postman in Hillfarrance for the last 30years, on 21st March 2008 he took early retirement. Residents were all sad to see him go, they presented him with a bottle of wine, a chocolate cake and £125.
Beautiful daffodils in the churchyard looking great for Mothers Day 22nd March.
Events in Hillfarrance
Margaret tossing pancakes for our party
Audrey arriving with her sister Vera and niece Beryl for her 80th Birthday party.
Wendy Hewson opening the new kitchen at our church on the 9th June 2007
The Rev. Alison Norris sitting pretty on the new toilet.
Rev. Alison and David Horwood busy cleaning.
Joan Edwards, Gillian Roots, Isobel Hughes and Jean Smith waiting in line to use the loo.
Margaret Gill and Hazel Dyke
cleaning the brass .
Coffee break at the big clean up
on 16th June 2007
Jean Smith cleaning the pew ends.
Abseiling from the church tower
Two Royal Marines assisted 50 abseilers from the tower of Hillfarrance Church. The Taunton Deane Morris Men came and danced on the Village Green and refreshments were served in the church. One of the Morris Men abseiled from the tower and one of the Churchwardens sons joined the Morris dancing.
Morrismen are annual visitors to Hillfarrance
they dance on the 'Green' by Holy Cross Church.
Start of the village walk
Past History - the construction of the Flood Alleviation Scheme means
that Hillfarrance will never again experience flooding in the village centre.